Thursday, December 01, 2005

The Perennial Shaming

Another great week of college basketball and another great shaming for the Big Ten... for the 5th straight year the ACC beat the Big Ten to win the Commissioner's Cup. Which leads me to ask the very same question I ask about the PAC-10 during football season, is the ACC really a legitimate athletic conference.

To be fair, it is hard to argue with success. And I willing to admit that the ACC is a preeminent conference when it comes to basketball with it's power houses, Duke and Chapel Hill. However, when it comes to football they are certainly much more suspect. Florida State football is by no means what it once was. And watching Duke play football is like watching your high school football team run around in circles. If the South wants to school us Yankees in football, then the ACC is probably not the best example. ACC football is so generally lacking in talent that they had to pilfer teams from the Big East to prop them up - Miami, VTech, and Boston College. So while the ACC's got the basketball game, I can't give them much respect for stolen top 10 football programs...

And while I'm slamming other conferences how about the PAC-10. Having pretty boy quarterbacks does not signify having a legitimate program. Sure USC has a good team, but they have one of the easiest conference schedules in the country... Washington? Cal? Arizona? I wonder how long they would survive in the SEC. And in terms of basketball, nothing good besides the Arizona Wildcats has come out of the PAC-10 since John Wooden.

So if you want to talk about real conferences. Let's talk. The Big Ten. The Big 12. The SEC. And now, I'll end my rant against all things ACC and PAC-10 for fear of jinxing the teams I love.

PS. Duke fans beware. I love you not.

1 comment:

Mango Kiwi said...

coach k is a rabid republican. he's one of those crazy social conservatives. another reason not to like duke basketball.