Monday, July 16, 2007

Who Will Die?

I saw the latest installment of the Harry Potter series today. It was actually my favorite one to date. Things actually started happening and there was no quidditch. (Thank god! That game is worse than cricket!) Watching today's movie made me wonder though, which two characters are going to die in the final book. I believe that there are supposed to be two main characters who die...

Harry Potter? Unlikely. If he dies, will anyone bother to see movie six and seven? Little kids all over the world will be heartbroken. The Queen will have to take back the knighthood or whatever it is she conferred on Rowling.

Ron Weasley? I think very likely. The best friend and sidekick tragically dying to help his best friend save the world. Seems appropriate. Besides Ron doesn't really do much besides occupy otherwise empty space.

Hermione Granger? I hope not. She is the only real main female character... they can't kill her. It's sexist I tell you!

Neville Longbottom? The boy has suffered enough. Crazies for parents, an utter and complete lack of social skills, and that name! Ach!

Severus Snape? Quite likely, and my sister will probably agree. The most hated man at Hogwarts will be beloved once everyone finds out he was only doing Dumbledore's bidding.

Draco Malfoy? He's pretty useless. I am not sure Rowling even plans to redeem him. If she isn't going to redeem him, then he is not important enough to go down in a blaze of glory...

So who do you think will die? I wonder if I should pre-order book seven... I seem to have succumbed to Potter mania.

7 comments:

Esha said...

I don't think harry will die, because he is the boy who lives. I am unsure about ron, because if you remember in poa, trewalny says when 13 people meet at a dinner, the first one to rise is the first one to die, both harry and ron rise and are unsure who gets up first. So if harry won't die, I think ron will die.

Anonymous said...

but jk rowling said that one character got a reprieve and i am thinking the character who gets a reprieve is ron. it would be SO sad if ron died. but she may have to kill a main character. but then who will hermione marry?

sonia said...

Hermione and Ginny could have a knock-out, drag-out fight over Harry. That might be entertaining. Or perhaps Hermione and Crookshanks could live happily ever after. Or even better Hermione could be so upset over the loss of Ron that she might go over to the dark side and marry a Slytherin. Oooooooooooooh!

Anonymous said...

there is no chemistry between harry and hermione.

Anonymous said...

possible people to die: hagrid, mcgonagall, snape, malfoy, ron, lupin, tonks, mr. weasley, bill, charlie

of course voldemort will die. i also think bellatrix will die.

i would bet money on hagrid, snape and mr. weasley. the others i'm not so sure about.

Esha said...

from the new york times review..it was a bloodbath of death and at least a half a dozen characters die. I think that a lot of minor order folks will die like kingsley...etc.


But i think ron got the reprieve.

sonia said...

I wish Shaili would hurry up and finish reading DH already so that I can write about it. I found the book distressing on multiple levels... (ps. yes, unlike some, I know the book does not equal real life)