Friday, July 13, 2007

Back from Hiatus

It's been awhile since I last updated. Actually, I feel generally my postings have become quite sporadic, which is unfortunate.

I spent the past two weeks in Australia, and have thankfully picked up neither their slang nor their accent. But I do like how they occasionally refer to their president/prime minister person as 'Johnnie Howard'. I wish we could refer to George Bush as Georgie Bush. It seems so fitting. Rather like the name of a petulant child.

Being in Australia I was reminded that while the US may not be winning the war on terror, they sure are winning the culture war. 'Neighbors' may in fact be the only original Australian programming on TV. The show that took up the most airtime was 'The Simpsons', if there is a show more synonymous with American culture, I would love to hear about it. In fact, in Australia, I was able to watch such fabulous and stimulating programming as 'The Real World Las Vegas Reunion' show. I *love* America.

I also had a chance to catch 'Knocked Up'. Aside from the fact that the plot line was completely unbelievable, oh and that live birth scene (ew! totally gratuitous and unnecessary... I think I have been scarred for life... no wonder Anne Hathaway turned down the part...), the movie was pretty amusing. And Izzie was far more likable in the movie than Gray's itself.

I also had a chance to snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef which led to the opportunity to drink large quantities of Pacific Ocean water. All I can say is... mmm... tasty! The reef was cool though. I think I was stalked by a somewhat inquisitive Zebra fish.

No comments: