Sunday, November 19, 2006

To Be the Best

After today, there seems to be little doubt that Ohio State is the #1 football team in the country. Sure their center could use a little extra work. But I was amazed by how awesome Troy Smith is. I don't care how many points Brady Quinn scores at USC, Smith is hands down the Heisman winner in my books.

The interesting question now becomes who is the best of all the rest? I would argue, as much as it pains me, that Michigan still belongs in the BCS Championship game... why, you ask? Well really it is quite simple...
  • I can't help but wonder if Florida ran up the score in their 62-0 win against W. Carolina in an effort to curry favor with the BCS. Despite a less than convincing win against Spurrier's Gamecocks, of all the also rans, Florida may be the most deserving. The Florida St. game will be key.
  • Booty and USC fail to impress me. They play all their hard games at home. If that and their pathetic loss to Oregon St. and near loss to Arizona St. don't drive down their BCS score, I don't know what will.
  • Arkansas has been on quite a roll. If they can beat LSU, they could potentially make the case for a BCS bid. Their loss to USC was the first game of the season, and they have since knocked off Auburn (then No. 2) and Tennessee. It could be an interesting SEC match-up between Florida and Auburn.
  • Notre Dame should be out. Wins over the Armed Forces (e.g., army, navy, air force) are expected and don't really help strength of schedule. Still I would like to see them crush USC.
  • Rutgers. Oh poor, poor Rutgers. Well one could question if they really even beat Louisville, or if Louisville beat themselves. They are so out!
  • The attack of the Big East continues with West Virgina. They look pretty good, but have only played one ranked team so far (Louisville) and lost. I say they are out.
  • Now that Saban ditched them to, I feel a certain kinship with the LSU fan who was betrayed by a coach running toward the elusive pot of gold. However, going to 1-2 against ranked teams, I think LSU's case is far from compelling. Maybe next year?
  • How the Big East teams are rolling through the Top Ten is beyond me! Still, Louisville presents an interesting case. Their only loss was to Rutgers and their flukey field goal. Still, I am uncertain that they have the strength of schedule required.
  • And for shits and giggles, why not throw in Boise State. Besides Ohio State, they are the only remaining undefeated team in the country. Wow. If they were in the BCS Championship game. I am pretty sure they would get steam rolled. In fact, I would worry that they might get hurt.

So what you ask is the point of all my blabbering? Quite simple. Ohio State and University of Michigan need another face off. Fans will be happy. Media outlets will be happy as rating would likely be fabulous. And people would keep faith with the BCS, which in the past has created some seriously shitty match-ups.

As a side note, I loved the whole Fear Factor, name your favorite mascot campaign. My only pet peeve with the commercials is that they didn't include any Big Ten mascots. The FurFactor commercials can be found on the Capital One Bowl page.

In case you were wondering about the Michigan State game... quite frankly it is just too painful for me to talk about. What is funny is that both Michigan St. and Penn St. are at the moment being coached my lame ducks - John L. because he was fired and Joe Pa because he is old, fell and couldn't get up.

At least I can capture a small slice of football happiness with the knowledge that Princeton secured a piece of the Ivy League title (although technically they should have it outright since they beat Yale) and beat Harvard and Yale in the same year for the first time in over 10yrs. Ah. Happiness.

No comments: