Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Night

So it's election night, and there is nothing on TV except political pundits. But I did stumble across this interesting show, "The Papdits". It's basically a rather comed-ish sketch about a bunch of FOB Kashmiri's coming to America. I recommend checking it out.

Well on to topics of more substance... the election!
  • Rick Santorum is gone. I don't care what David Brooks says, I say 'good riddance'! Republicans are generally in my belief a bit nutters, but Santorum with his, I don't believe in evolution, I believe in the Lord of the Rings bullshit bullshit, was certifiable.
  • Poor Lincoln Chafee is gone. I do feel rather bad for him. He seemed like a decent guy, and I am inclined to think he actually thought about his votes. His voting record certainly suggests it. Collateral damage I suppose... sucks that he's the one who got bashed. But in some ways the Bush administration can't be crying much about this once since Chafee never really towed the party line effectively.
  • George Macaca Allen is apparently still going to be around. Oh the frustration. Usually the racists in office (the exception being Strom Thurmond) have either apologized or are in the closet about it. Allen apparently likes to embrace all with his bigotedness.
  • Michigan appears to be safe... for now! and the women came out strong. Granholm and Stabenow are both being called as winners. The big disappointment, in my mind, is that Mike Rogers may actually win. The guy is just a big waste of space in Washington, and that says a lot considering the extent of wasted space in that city.

So the talking heads on MSNBC, or maybe its just Joe Scarborough, seem to think the Democrats that are winning are "new", conservative, pseudo-Republican Democrats. But I am not sure that is really the case... sure Casey (PA), Tester (MT), and Webb (VA) are all on the conservative side. Hell Webb used to be Regan's Secretary of Navy (or something like that). But there are plenty of liberal Democrats campaigning out there, for instance Ned Lamont (though I guess he lost to Lieberman) and Sherrod Brown (who beat DeWine).

Incidentally, I know nothing about Tester, except that he has a really bad crew-cut, but I really hope he beats Conrad Burns. I blogged about Burns before. I can't stand the guy. He's barely educated and it comes out in spades with regards to his comments on fire fighters, abortion, etc. etc.

I am more than a little concerned about Nancy Pelosi becoming Speaker of the House. The Republicans call her 'the liberal from San Francisco'. While that may be a bit harsh, I do think there is some truth to it. She reminds me a bit of Howard Dean. She can appeal to the Democratic base in large urban areas, but other than that, she is not centrist enough. Oh, and I think she might be petty, in that way only women tend to excel at. Pelosi apparently has some tiff with Jane Harmon, the ranking Democrat on the Intelligence Committee. Therefore, an experienced woman will no longer have a ranking position on one of the most important committees in the House. I have a problem with that!

While this Election has already made me happy, there is a big elephant in the room (no pun intended) - what are the Democrats going to do about Iraq? Everyone seems to have a different idea. From time tables, to unilateral pull-out (e.g., cut-and-run), to stay the course (ala Bush-Lieberman)... will they ever agree? I am not sure... and can Howard Dean and Nancy Pelosi make them? I think not. While I am happy the Democrats won, if they can't get their shit together, there won't be a Democrat in the white house in 2008.

4 comments:

Mango Kiwi said...

I agree with your analysis. Democrats were given a great opportunity and I'm not sure that they deserved it, but they better not blow it. Finally, running as the anti-Bush part actually paid off for them. But they are going to have to do more than that in the next two years if they expect to get the White House in 2008

George "Mucaca" Allen is now down by 11,500 votes. He's not going to make that up in a recount. That's a hell off a lot. (I'm still going to knock on wood anyway).

Anonymous said...

It's macaca. Not mucaca. But I do say "muhahahaha" to him!

Anonymous said...

There is something about Nancy Pelosi's person that I don't like unfortunately. She looks like she has had 10 plastic surgeries, she is sort of glammed up and I don't think thats the actual way she speaks either...
in short.. is she a real person?
I do appreciate how liberal she is though.

sonia said...

She is from SF. She has to be liberal. To be from SF and be a conservative is a total oxymoron.

With regards to her looks, I have noticed a definite change. It could be plastic surgery. Apparently, he husband is like uber rich. But honestly, I think she may have hired a stylist, as she looks a bit more put together.

Personally, I think she is going to make a mess of things... but then that is just me :)