Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A Chance at Redemption?

Quite frankly, I have been too better over the Notre Dame game to update my blog. I hate those bloody, f-ing, Domers. While MSU's defense was clearly on vacation, and John L. was trying to make the offense burn the clock for the entire friggin' 2nd half, I know in my heart (and in my mind) that Notre Dame cheated. And the sad thing is they used to be my 2nd favorite team. I mean what more does a girl want than a team that beats UMich every year and loses to Michigan State every year. It's like a dream come true. Except I got a nightmare this year. And now with Stanton injured things are looking more grim than usual. Still MSU may have a shot at redemption down in good old AA.

Factoids of note:
  • MSU hasn't won at Ann Arbor since 1990. All winning streaks must come to an end. If Michigan can finally beat Notre Dame and Touchdown Jesus, surely Stanton can miraculously get well and save State fans.
  • State has lost four in a row to Michigan. That's a dry spell if I ever heard one. And I can't remember having to go this long without a win in years!
  • History suggests a loss in Ann Arbor would cause MSU to end the season with a record 4-8. Ouch! Typically, after losing to UMich, MSU takes a nose dive, and only wins one of their remaining games. If they beat UMich, they typically take 2 or 3 games, thus ending with a record of 6-6. Bowl game anyone?
So what does this all mean? If Stanton and the Spartans manage to beat UMich, I for one will be cheering. But don't expect the party to last that long. State is still plagued by the inconsistency of years past.

2005: MSU loss, 34-31 (OT) @ East Lansing
MSU was 4-0 entering the game. MSU then went 1-5 in their last six games. Talk about dismal. But this year, we have a better kicker... please no wide to the rights.

2004: MSU loss, 45-37 (3OT) @ Ann Arbor
MSU was doing just find until UMich decided to take a peice out of Stanton. bloody cheaters. MSU went 1-3 in their last four games. Ach so!

2003: MSU loss, 27-20 @ East Lansing
MSU was 7-1 entering the game, with wins over teams like Iowa and Notre Dame. But after succumbing the the vile AA-ers, went 1-3 the rest of the season. Although the sole win was an awesome spanking of Joe Pa's club.

2002: MSU loss, 49-3 @ Ann Arbor
Oh the pain. I cried that day. Oh, Smoker why did you have to start popping pills. To lose like this to a real Michigan QB is one thing, but John Navarre. Does anyone even remember who he is anymore? State ended the season going 1-2.

2001: MSU win, 26-24 @ East Lansing
Can you believe it? I hardly can. Sure the maize&blue complain about time calling nonsense. But a win is a win I say, and I'll take this one! Although, MSU won more than one game after beating down UMich, they lost to such spectacular teams as Indy-f-ing-ana. Consistency, where arth thou?

2000: MSU loss, 14-0 @ Ann Arbor
A shut-out. No way! Poor T.J. Duckett. He was robbed I tell you. Robbed. MSU ended the season 2-2.

1999: MSU win, 34-31 @ East Lansing
Plaxico what can I say. I loved you then, now if only you would score me some points for my ff team! The Tom Brady years, a boon for us State fans, who woulda thunk he would make it in the pros. MSU ended the season 4-2 with wins over Ohio State, Penn State, and Florida in the Citrus Bowl. This what MSU football was supposed to be about!



6 comments:

Mango Kiwi said...

I think the 2004 game was actually in 3 OT and that game lasted like 5 hours or something.

sonia said...

You're right. My bad. It's all fixed.

S said...

I'm sorry but MSU has absolutely no chance tomorrow!! Let me take that back, the only chance they have is if they send that silly mascot Sparty to beat up Lloyd carr AND Chad Henne before the game.
Hail to the victors!

S said...

BTW, I'm probably sadder than you are about that MSU vs Notre Dame game. Frankly, I feel like MSU is our *little brother* at most other games. I root for them when they don't play us. Now that they let Notre Dame get away with one, pretty boy quinn is back on all the Heisman lists! Goddammit! There are also like 3 notre dame alumni in grad school at EECS and they annoy me to no end. I made one of them wear a pink "Michigan Grandma" shirt after their loss to us. I can't bear to have their hopes up again!

sonia said...

Let's be fair. Chad Henne is a terrible quarterback. He is being saved by an awesome defense and players like Breston, Hart, and Manningham. It's been a long time since MSU won in AA (strange what Ann Arbor and Alcoholics Anonymous have in common). They are definately due a win.

Yes, it totally annoys me that Quinn is back on the Heisman lists. But it's not going to happen, he screwed up too badly in the UMich game. Let's see what happens at USC. For now, in terms of QBs, I'll put my money on Troy Smith.

sonia said...

I guess probabilities lie. I'll have to wait until 2008 for a win in AA.