Saturday, September 16, 2006

Week 3 College Football: Winners and Losers

A girl can't help but love Saturdays full of non-stop football. I was a bit disappointed that the Michigan St. - Pitt game was not televised here. Apparently, watching Virginia Tech shut out Duke was far more important. Incidentally, who watches Duke football? basketball, sure I get it. But ACC football is garbage (for the most part) and Duke is the worst of the bunch.

Michigan St. - Pitt: Loved it! I admit to being nervous at first. I wish Stanton would stop throwing interceptions. But after the first half he got it together rushing for 100 yards and passing for another 200. I wish we could have seen more of Trannon. Still the win over Pitt and sustained dominance in the 2nd half in a hostile environment if State is to have a chance in hell of beating Notre Dame when they come calling next weekend.

Ohio St. - Cinnci: Ohio State had me wondering, but they pulled through. I like seeing a dominant team in the Big Ten that's not Michigan. Hopefully Tressel can remain strong against Michigan (and lose against Michigan State - yes, probability zero. But I have to dream the impossible dream).

UMich - Notre Dame: After the bliss of an Michigan State win, this game brought me back to reality. I didn't expect UMich to roll over and play dead (though I did sort of hope they would), but I certainly didn't expect to see Notre Dame fold like a house of cards. Brady Quinn had 3 interceptions. Three friggin' interceptions. He might as well just kiss his Heisman goodbye because it's as good as gone. And the entire Notre Dame offense put up 4yds rushing. 4 yards!!! Even I can do better than that. Touchdown Jesus was clearly not in the house.

LSU - Auburn: Now that Nick Saban jilted LSU (just like he ditched Michigan St), I no longer resent them like I used to. In light of all the nonsense at Auburn of late with players grades, I am inclined to pick LSU as one of my favorite SEC teams. The game was ridiculously low scoring (7-3) considering the caliber of the players, and LSU likely would have and should have won had the refs not made the asinine decision to reverse their pass interference call. Where is instant replay in college ball when you need it. Simply ridiculous!

USC vs. Nebraska: Hated it! I hate UMich with a passion even I find unbelievable. Second on my list of hated college football teams is USC and their pretty boy quarterbacks (and what is up with Reggie Bush getting free gifts???). Despite the fact that ex-Coach Osborne made me hate Nebraska and the thug-style players he supported back in the day, I would have loved to see Nebraska win. USC benefits every year from playing in a sissy conference. They need to be taken down a peg or two. Nebraska had a few moments, but they look green. Maybe next year?

No comments: