Saturday, December 24, 2005

Brokeback Mountain: my second movie review

So I must say that I was a little disappointed in Brokeback Mountain. Part of it was that I just could not get into the story and relate to it. The fact that I am not a gay cowboy could have been part of the problem. Also I am not sure why there is all this Oscar buzz for Heath Ledger. Sure he had to simulate sex with a guy and kiss Jake Gyllenhal, but other than that he basically mumbled a lot and had that quiet, stoic, American West attitude about him. Other interesting things I learned from the movie...

1. There is life after Dawson's Creek that doesn't involve snogging stars twice your age. Michelle Williams had a small role in the movie, but she also had some really pivotal scenes (e.g., discovery, confrontation) and some superb facial expressions.

2. Anne Hathaway is cute, but makes a horrible blonde. Yikes! No wonder her husband was picking up men. She should stick to being a brunette.

3. The all denim look just really doesn't work for me. But apparently for cowboys in love its hot.

4. Guys having sex isn't sexy or romantic. At least not in this movie. But then again I am not a gay man so I don't really understand...

5. When do people ever name their daughters after their mom with Jr. at the end. (yes, I know they do in Gilmore Girls, but here it was just weird)

So seriously, the movie was for the most part very tastefully done, and I think can appear to a broad audience because scenes are not very explicit. Also the scenery is beautiful. Most of the time when they show Ennis and Jack they are outside together sitting by a fire with whiskey or riding their horses. In these scenes, there is almost a chasteness to their love that really is sweet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michelle Williams was actually nominated for a golden globe. Beat that Katie Holmes.