Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Being Pro-Life

I consider myself to be a pro-life. I do not believe in capital punishment. I am by no means a fan of abortion. I believe in gun control and an automatic weapons ban, which could have prevented things like the tragic incident at Virginia Tech. I am against genocide and war and think we should have exercised more thought before going into Iraq and should try and intervene in Darfur. So it really irritates me that anti-abortion proponents, many of whom happen to be supporters of the the death penalty and the NRA, have co-opted the term pro-life.

While I am not a fan of abortion, I recognize that there are cases in which it may be necessary. My issues with the ban on "partial birth abortion" - other than the name, because it is certainly not a medical term - is that it is the first step in anti-abortionists' crusade against Roe v. Wade. It will be a sad day indeed, if Roe v. Wade is overturned, and women are forced to seek out the help of less than scrupulous "doctors".

The thing that gets me about the anti-abortion crowd is that they seem to be against the prevention of unwanted pregnancies. How often are they out there telling politicians that we don't need to teach kids just about abstinence but also about birth control? Are they leading the charge against pharmacists who refuse to fill birth control prescriptions? I am quite sure, anti-abortion supporters are at the front lines in preventing US international aid dollars going towards family planning. If indeed they feel the need to restrict a woman's ability to control her body and destiny, it is only fitting they do the same for men. Why not mandate vasectomy's by a certain age? I am sure the Thomas, ScAlito, Roberts, and Kennedy would have voted for that!

Anti-abortion proponents need to think for a moment and realize that no one wants abortions to be happen. In no world is it an ideal situation. At best it is a tragic solution to those in a desperate situation. Within my framework of beliefs being pro-choice is completely compatible with being pro-life!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How is it that men know what is best for women? How is that only women have to bear the consequences of pregnancy? They couldn't wait to get Sandra Day O'Connor out. Oh by the way lawyers, doctors and judges also know more than doctors. I am a prolifer too in that abortion should be safe but rare.