Saturday, February 17, 2007

A Hollywood Travesty

I grew up reading Nancy Drew books. The old ones. The pages were slightly yellowed, dusty, and quite honestly a little musty, but they were authentic, you know? The real deal. It was great. Then Nancy got a little older and started dating Ned Nickerson. And then she got a little older still and started solving the occasional mystery with the Hardy Boys. I distinctly remember a little somethin' somethin' going on between Nancy and the older Hardy boy, who's name I cannot recall, yet strangely, his age I do remember. He couldn't have been out of college. So now tell me why. Why are Ben Still and Tom Cruise going to star in the movie version of The Hardy Boys?

So I get that Tom Cruise might still think he is Maverick. But the fact of the matter is he is pushing on 50, and these days he isn't looking that much younger than 40. And Ben Stiller? Yeah, no. This is the worst combination I have heard of since the movie version of Scooby Doo with the blond Freddie Prinze Jr. and a CGI canine. Why could they not have cast guys like Jake Gyllenhal? Toby Maguire? Tom Welling? Josh Harnett? Anything but this... sigh. God I hope they don't spoil Nancy Drew by turning her into a movie too!

In other Hollywood related randomness, what on earth is Beyonce doing on the cover of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition? The girl is quite attractive, but the airbrush was working hard on that cover... some wonderbra and thighs begone... she is curvy more than muscular. Not sure she is an SI girl, besides which she is everywhere I turn. I think she needs to go on the dl for a little while.

No comments: