Saturday, October 14, 2006

Such Sadness

I should be used to this, but four game slides are horrendously painful. In all honesty, I had mentally prepared myself for Michigan State to lose this game. Javon Ringer is out. Matt Trannon is out. Stanton has a bruised thumb, ribs, and now a bruised back. But to be shut out at home sucks (let's face it the TD at the end of the game was a mercy touchdown).

I guess this means that the season is essentially over. Illinois and Indiana both have better Big Ten records than Michigan State. I can't remember the last time that happened, and it certainly does not bode well for the Michigan State regular or post-season opportunities.

This loss also, in my opinion, seals the deal on John L's stay at Michigan State. I do agree with the commentators that this is not entirely his fault. Too many offensive players have been hurt. Only like five starters from the first game against Idaho suited up against Ohio State. For god's sake, there are defensive linemen lining up at the tight end position. State is literally starting 3rd and 4th stringers. That is not way to win against the No. 1 team in the country. I wonder if John L is kicking himself for leaving Louisville (No. 7). I wonder if Stanton wishes he went pro last year. I wonder...

There are a couple things that could redeem this football Saturday. (1) Michigan losing to Penn St. If Penn St. can pull out the win, I will bite my tongue for every time I said Joe Pa needed to get the hell out of Happy Valley. (2) The Tigers shut the door on Oakland.

3 comments:

Mango Kiwi said...

post-season? how can you even say that in the same breadth as michigan state. their goal should be to win at least one of the games left.

i think john l is responsible for most of the things that have gone wrong this season, including the notre dame game and the illinois game...

you shouldn't want michigan to lose because it would be cool for osu and michigan to face off undefeated and then have michigan win.

sonia said...

Unlike you a traitor of the first order, I will never cheer for Michigan, unless it somehow benefits Michigan State, and even then it pains me incredibly. I fail to see how Michigan going undefeated in the Big Ten is in Michigan State's best interests. If anything is hurts Michigan State and makes it even harder for State to recruit good players and coaching staff.
I think the Notre Dame game was most certainly John L's fault. I give him 100% of the blame. Illinois I am less certain of. But since the game wasn't televised here, I think it is also harder to judge. Maybe he gets like 50% of the blame for that one...

Mango Kiwi said...

i did go to michigan after all, so i'm not a traitor and everyone knows its more fun to root for a team that actually wins instead of one that loses all the time.