Friday, July 14, 2006

Desperate Times

I didn't know what to call this blog entry... "Armageddon in the Middle East", "World War III", "Oil Prices Sky High",...

I can't begin to understand what is happening in the Middle East, but here is what I think I know.
  • Iran is bad people. So it's probably not fair to label all Iranians with such a broad stroke. But why do they allow such a crazy to be their president? They've had a Revolution before. I say, instead of turning Lebanon into your little sandbox of evil fun, why not take to the streets of your own country.
  • Egypt and Jordan are between a rock and a hard place (a really hard place). I really don't envy Abdullah or Mubarak. They signed peace treaties with Israel, and that can't be too popular with certain elements within their country. But given the virtually complete control they have of their own countries, I am sure they'll be fine. In fact, I must say Mubarak despite his unwillingness to tolerate political dissent of any sort (which I find to be somewhat disturbing and rather Bush like) did impress me by (1) working with Abbas to negotiate the release of the Israeli soldier held in Gaza (obviously this won't be happening anymore because of... yes... Iran) and (2) calling out Hezbollah for their "adventurism". Impressive!
  • What was it Teddy Roosevelt used to say? Talk softly and carry a big stick... I think it was something like that. Well I think Israel likes to talk loudly, stomp around, and carry a big stick, a huge big exploding stick. So I think Israel is perhaps overreacting a bit. But at the same time they have to flex some muscle. If they don't, they'll look weak. Then everyone will want a piece of them. And I don't mean that in a good way. So I game on... I guess...
  • Poor Lebanon. Since when did their country become the chessboard of the Middle East? 15 years of Civil War and it looks like they are going to get some more. I think their President needs to toss a few members of his cabinet - democratic of not.
  • You've got to be kidding me. Does Israel seriously think Lebanon can disarm Hezbollah or that the Palestinian Authority can disarm Hamas? I mean if Israel with the best American equipment money can buy can't do it, how do they expect these poor, "sovereign" states to do so? It seems some how not quite logical. But then again, when is anything in the Middle East ever?
  • Iran is the big bad. This is partly our (e.g., the US (e.g., GWB)) doing. If we hadn't created a power vacuum in the Middle East by taking out the WMD-less Saddam, this might not have happened. Saddam for all his despicableness was a good counterbalance to Iran. After all why else did Rumsfeld shake his hand all those years ago? And I doubt he could have been a Hezbollah fan... they are all Shia. So to recap, we (e.g., the US (e.g., GWB)) have created a power vacuum in the Middle East, and given Iran the perfect opportunity to assert regional hegemony. After all as they know, we are so bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan that we lack the resources to help Israel and stop the situation from turning into a complete and utter inferno.
  • The Dow is down again! Even GE with its double digit growth fell almost 2% today. The only ticker symbol that went green was Exxon. Fancy that. Record high oil prices. Turmoil in the Middle East. And an oil company doing well. Shocker! What a big fat shocker. I need to go back and watch Syriana again.

No comments: