Saturday, May 20, 2006

Throwback: Gershwin, Wodehouse, Superman?

  • So for the past couple weeks I have been trying to find a copy of Vanity Fair, I confess I am rather infatuated with the magazine. It has everything, gossip (Dominick Dunne), high fashion (which I cannot afford, but enjoy drooling over), and interesting articles (that tend to have a nice slant left). But I cannot! seem to find the magazine, it is most distressing. Considering this is Cambridge, I would have expected to be able to find it easily, but instead all I get is Cosmo, Vogue, blah and double blah.
  • They just showed a trailer for Superman Returns. It seems awful. I don't want Kevin Spacey to play Lex Luther. I want the Smallville guy to play him. He makes bad look good. (Yes, I am fully aware of how ridiculous and cliche that sounded). Err... I am afraid that the movie will ruin Smallville for me. That would be sad. There is a reason there isn't a Batman TV show. It just complicates things.
  • So I went to the Pops tonight. It was my first time, and I loved it. I happen to be a Gershwin fan, which just made it even better. Rhapsody in Blue is my favorite. We played it in Orchestra. But he has great show tunes too... 'Somebody to Watch Over Me' and 'They Can't Take That Away From Me'. And it got me to thinking, there are some really great old songs. Like Nat King Cole songs. He's so good! It's possible that I may know the words to all his songs... I wonder if people will ever look back at the songs today (e.g., Britt, U2, Gwen, etc.), and consider them to be 'classics'.
  • We were asked in class to recommend a book everyone should read before they die. It was a hard choice, a really hard choice. My most favorite book ever is Piccadilly Jim by P.G. Wodehouse. I laugh out loud (literally) every time I read it. The cover has nearly fallen off because I have read it so many times. But as much as I love it, it is pure fluff. No substance what so ever. So I suggested East of Eden instead, which is fabulous. Plus James Dean was in the movie version, and although the movie version bears no resemblance to the book what so ever, he is nice to look at. My only concern is that people might think I read the book after it became an Oprah Book Club book. I hate the Oprah Book Club. I was sad when she selected East of Eden as one of her books. She ruins and trivializes books by putting them in her book club. She can't seem to recognize the difference between Great American classics (e.g., East of Eden) and crap written by Wally Lamb.
  • Go Pistons! They got lucky in Cleveland yesterday. Here's to hoping they bring it in Detroit. Although Drew Carey thought Cleveland rocked, he was clearly! so wrong.

No comments: