Friday, October 21, 2005

TV

You know, I really watch too much TV. I just can't seem to help myself. It's always there. Things are much better now (depending on how you view it) since I got rid of cable. Now I just have the basics.

Here are some thoughts on the shows I have been watching.

Desperate Housewives: I used to watch The Adventures of Lois & Clark way back when. Teri Hatcher was cool, except for the small problem of not being believable as a reporter. Now I am just kind of bored of her. Part of the problem is those stupid Radio Shack commericals she did while on "hiatus", whenever I see her I think of them and want to switch the channel. The other problem, is her character. Susan is just annoying. The show stuff her down your throat, making her out to seem like such a goodie-goodie, but she is definately not good people. She burned down a house, embarassed her daughter in public to make herself feel better, and paid her boyfriend's runaway teenage son to stay away. Seriously -- not normal!

I do like Bree's character. She has red hair. I always wanted to have red hair, though I doubt it would suit my complexion. Her family is also hysterically dysfunctional, despite her trying to be the perfect Stepford mother/wife. Her character is the only reason I watch the show.

Grey's Anatomy: My friend really likes this show. So I decided to watch an episode or two. This is essentially a "classy" soap. But then all doctor/hospital dramas are. They make hospitals seem like these giant mixers where doctors just hook-up, break-up, and then hook-up some more (either with the same people or some one new). I wonder if real doctor's are like that...

LOST: So I have no idea what is going on in this show. There are numbers, and "the others", and some monster in the jungle, and a hatch, and the list goes on and on. Given that I have no idea what is going on, I am not sure why I am still watching. But it is interesting. It reminds me a lot of Lord of the Flies. (That was a crazy book.) There are even wild pigs that they hunt.

My theory is that the plane was purposefully crashed into the island, so "someone" could run a social experiment. Kind of like the experiment they ran in the 60s/70s where people either acted as prison guards or prisoners. I don't think that ended well.

Smallville: I will be the first to admit that watching shows on the WB at my age is truly sad and pathetic. But I can't help it. I love Lex. He is awesome. The evil genius billionare, what's not to like. Personally, I think his character is far more interesting than superboy - Clark Kent.

In this week's episode, they introduced the character of Aquaman. Apparently he is from Southern California, and environmentalist cum surfer, who can swim like a fish. But that isn't why the show was interesting. It was interesting because for the first time they really showed Lex turning to the dark side. What's weird about watching "prequels" is you keep wanting to tell the soon-to-be villians to be good. It's like in the Star Wars prequels, Anakin seemed like such a nice kid, until he wasn't so nice. That was sad. Anyway, if you like bald, rich, evil geniuses, watch Smallville.

Four shows. I wonder if that is a lot. Maybe I am a couch potato.

No comments: